- Sinai Medical Group
- SMG @SCI 3RD FLOOR SURGERY
- Allied Health
- Full Time
- Req #: 20265
Assistant (Bi-Lingual - Spanish/English Ability) - SMG
The Sinai Medical Group Clinics are a high volume clinic with a large Hispanic population whose primary language and sometimes only language is Spanish. This is why bilingual is preferred for this position. Our staff has the challenge of keeping up with a fast pace, high volume and seamless work flow for these clinics. In order to achieve this, we need a certain percentage of staff members to be able to communicate fluently in Spanish. For the current Spanish speaking Medical Assistants and non-Spanish speaking Medical Assistants' ratio that we currently have on staff, in the Medicine division, it would be to our advantage that the person who fills this position is bilingual.
GENERAL SUMMARY/BASIC PURPOSE OF JOB:
According to detailed instructions and policies and procedures prepares rooms according to scheduled examination or treatment; accompanies patients to rooms; and verifies patient identification. Obtains and records vital signs -temperature, blood pressure, height and weight -and assists patients with preparations for examination or treatment as needed. The ideal candidate will assist physicians during examinations or treatments by passing instruments and supplies, accepting and labeling specimens, and so forth. Performs and records routine treatments or diagnostic procedures as directed. The medical assistant keeps examination and treatment rooms clean, orderly, and stocked. Also performs patient reception and general office duties as scheduled or directed.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND DUTIES:
• Prepares examination and treatment rooms by ensuring necessary supplies and instruments are on hand, placing clean covers on tables, and arranging instruments, supplies, and medications according to directions and standard practice for scheduled examination and treatment.
• Consistently maintains high quality of patient care. Greets patients in a courteous, pleasant, smiling manner. Calls patients as scheduled to examination or treatment rooms and as well as accompany them.
• Verifies patient identification, ensures proper charts are on hand, and confirms scheduled exam or treatment to be performed.
• Obtains and records information such as vital signs -blood pressure, height, weight, temperature, and so forth. Always questions patients regarding "allergies" and documents using notices.
• Passes instruments, supplies, specimen containers, and so forth to physician during examination or treatment, and otherwise assists physician through such tasks as holding or restraining patients, accepting and labeling specimens, and so forth.
• Performs and records in patient charts routine treatments or diagnostic procedures such as blood draws, urine dipstick analysis, standard E KG's, suture removal, immunization injections, applying dressings, and so forth, as directed by physician and according to established standards of care.
• Observes patients and reports reactions or changes in condition to appropriate personnel.• Conducts phlebotomy procedures and completes all required requisitions/labels as specified immediately before or after phlebotomy is done. Maintains laboratory logs as specified.
• Performs minor laboratory tests on site and documents all results.
• Transports patients as required, by wheelchair or stretcher.
• Performs related office duties such as answering telephones, by identifying oneself in a courteous, efficient manner, and relaying messages, maintaining necessary records and logs of patient visits for use in billing, accepting and receipting payments, sorting and distributing mail, photocopying records and bills, and so forth.
• Follows the approved processes in accomplishing the scheduling of patient referrals.
• Assists with follow-up of "No-Show" patients.
• Always obtains patient/guardian consents on any surgical or other procedures requiring consents.
• Always reviews patient record for any missing reports prior to the patient seeing the physician. Conducts follow-up in retrieval of missing reports.
• Under direction from physician or management, contacts patients regarding test results and documents it in patient record.
• Always maintains the patient's medical record in the predetermined format. Retrieves and re-files patient record as required.
• Always maintains the confidentiality, security, physical safety and unique identification of each patient's record. Abides by the legal requirements regarding release of patient information.
• Maintains exam and service rooms in clean and orderly condition by properly disposing of soiled linens and supplies; requisitioning and stocking necessary supplies, instruments, and linens; and cleaning counter surfaces and examination tables.
• Ensures proper handling and disposal of used supplies and instruments. Clean instruments and prepares for sterilization according to established procedures.
• Assists in the orientation of new employees.
• Employee is encouraged to bring ideas/recommendations that will increase the probability of desired patient outcomes, including patient satisfaction, to the attention of management.
• Always maintains a pleasant, cooperative working relationship with physicians, management, co- workers and hospital ancillary divisions.
• Always maintains work area in a neat, clean and organized manner. Return or replace all items used. Following policy/procedure cleans and sterilizes equipment/instruments as specified.
• High school diploma or general education degree (GED) preferred.
- Medical Assistant Diploma required.
- Completion of four to six weeks of Medical Assisting Externship
MINIMUM WORK EXPERIENCE:
• Work requires no previous experience plus one to three months of on-the-job training.
• Work requires the analytical ability to read and understand instructions, add and subtract numbers, and make comparisons between numbers and letters.
• Work requires the ability to exchange information on factual matters, schedule appointments, greet visitors, explain policies, and/or relay messages to appropriate personnel. This type of interaction requires courtesy and tact when dealing with patients, visitors and/or SMG employees.
• Work requires providing direct patient care to neonate, pediatric, adolescent, young adult, adult and geriatric patients.
Additional InformationSinai Medical Group employs 295 medical and surgical specialists and primary care physicians who provide care at Mount Sinai Hospital and at Sinai Health System sites in the Chicago area.