PATIENT NAVIGATOR -DISEASE MANAGEMENT
Emergency Department Navigator
General Summary/basic PURPOSE OF JOB:
The West Side Health Equity Collaborative (WSHEC) is an initiative on Chicago’s west side that uses a comprehensive network of community-based partners and medical providers to screen community members with chronic illness for social determinants of health and provide a suite of comprehensive services to resolve identified issues. The WSHEC Emergency Department (ED) Navigator will screen patients in the emergency department for The ED Navigator is employed by WSHEC participating hospitals. ED Navigators will serve as a bridge between the patient, the medical system, and community-based organizations by building trusting relationships with community members served by the program. The ED Navigator will also help in identifying barriers to accessing quality care, work with individuals to overcome these barriers, provide relevant referrals.
Essential Functions and duties:
- Completes Health Risk Assessments (HRA) with patients living in target zip codes.
- Assists with community resources and scheduling appointments.
- Facilitates referrals for clinically indicated services outside the primary care clinic (e.g., social services such as housing assistance, vocational rehabilitation, mental health specialty care, substance abuse treatment, etc.).
- Refers to Medical Home CHWs at nearby WSHEC primary care practices for ongoing follow up and engagement with a primary care provider.
- Supports and closely coordinates behavioral health care with the patient’s PCP and, when appropriate, mental health providers.
- Ensures a warm handoff to the on-call Behavioral Health Care Manager for ongoing follow up.
- Encourages patients to become actively engaged in their own health through calm, compassionate communication and by utilizing techniques such as motivational interviewing and behavioral activation.
- Accurately documents patient information, assessments, interventions and encounters.
- Attends ongoing training and learning related to job position and duties.
MINIMUM WORK EXPERIENCE:
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
REQUIRED LICENSES, Certificates, Registrations:
Sinai Health System is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, national origin, age, gender identity, gender expression, sex/gender, marital status, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, medical condition, use of a guide dog or service animal, military/veteran status, citizenship status, basis of genetic information, or any other group protected by law.