Director, Nursing - Telemetry - Medical Surgical
This job posting is no longer active.
General Summary/basic PURPOSE OF JOB:
Serves as the primary nurse leader for assigned departments. Accountable for management of clinical operations, oversight of nursing practice, compliance with regulatory, quality, and professional development standards, and all business operations within their span of control. Works with the System Chief Nursing Officer and Assistant Chief Nursing Officer in establishing standards of nursing practice for hospital-wide use and takes lead accountability in assuring that they are implemented, measured, and continuously improved. Assists in the management of resources, strategic planning, and development of policies and procedures which ensure congruence with the mission, vision, and values of the organization. Provides direction and support to department caregivers toward attainment of short- and long-term goals and objectives. It is an expectation that the director will progressively demonstrate and exceed competencies in domains for health care leadership, communication and relationship management, knowledge of the health care environment, professionalism, and business/financial skills and principles. Director will also ensure competency with the American Organization for Nursing Leadership’s Nurse Executive and Nurse Manager Competencies.
- Reports to: Assistant Chief Nursing Officer
- Provides Supervision to: Caregivers within designated departments
Essential Functions and duties
- Leads operations within assigned departments consistent with the mission, vision, and values of the hospital.
- Advances nursing practice through excellence in clinical care, education and research, program development, growth of patient care services or compression of services based on market and organizational need, continuous improvement, fiscal oversight and management of capital and human resources.
- Builds consensus by inspiring and influencing positive behaviors among all caregivers to promote a shared vision, engagement, standard work, and consensus in achieving strategic service line and organizational goals.
- Strong emphasis on the continuum of Quality and Patient Experience in all aspects of their job duties.
- Utilizes evidence-based practice models to promote excellence in nursing practice for SHS.
- Acts as a coach and mentor to other nursing leaders. Takes direct accountability for the development and performance of all direct reports. Assures that effective coaching and mentoring is being provided to the Clinical Nursing Coordinators, Charge Nurses, and others serving in supervisory roles.
- Assures that appropriate support is in place for coaching, mentoring and development of nursing caregivers.
- Communicates effectively with all levels of nurses, physicians, and other health care professionals both orally and in writing.
- Formulates mutually agreed upon goals for personal and professional development that are clearly articulated and documented in annual performance appraisals for all direct reports.
- Ensures that all nurse leaders who conduct annual performance appraisals are held to the same standard.
- Actively involved in creating a professional practice environment that encourages recruitment and retention of staff in the nursing department.
- Assists in providing leadership to nurse caregivers that will engage their support, create ownership of goals, and have them actively participate in decisions that impact their practice.
- Promotes an environment with open communication that enhances nursing retention and employee engagement.
- Directs the development of individual cost centers, operational and capital budgets, and negotiates for resources considering the current fiscal and reimbursement environment.
- Monitors productivity and assesses divisional performance in meeting productivity standards.
- Monitors and evaluates budgetary activity of labor and non-labor expenses.
- Reviews, at least annually, current staffing models and practices and makes appropriate changes based on performance, acuity, census, fiscal and market environments.
- Leads nursing in planning, developing and implementing clinical programs to optimize patient care.
- Works jointly with administrators and clinicians across the organization to build a cohesive, focused and dedicated inter-professional leadership and clinical team to accomplish the strategic vision and imperatives.
- Engages patients, families and community stakeholders in redesigning care and services to improve patient outcomes and patient/family experiences.
- Participates and leads the nursing team in developing hospital-wide patient care programs, policies, and procedures that describe how nursing care needs of patients are addressed, evaluated, and met and are aligned with the overall strategic direction, mission, and vision of the organization. Has accountability to drive and improve the patient experience within their units.
- Develops nursing strategic plan in collaboration with System CNO, ACNO nursing leaders and professional governance leaders.
- Manages implementation of core strategies in the hospital environment and serves as a leader for supporting and successfully managing change to meet the requirements of a rapidly evolving healthcare environment.
- Assesses the overall performance of hospital-based nursing care, nursing staff engagement and patient engagement and outcomes.
- Drives a culture of continuous performance improvement, shared governance, and staff engagement.
- Conducts regular safety surveillance rounds with team members to assess workplace safety for patients, families and staff.
- Maintains a respectful and just culture, and addresses workplace violence, sexual harassment, verbal and physical abuse, bullying, discrimination based on race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, and other individual differences with sensitivity, openness, and appropriate corrective action plans.
- Takes executive accountability for regulatory compliance, and adherence to policy and procedure within all areas of responsibility.
- Remains current with trends and changes in nursing professional practice in the healthcare environment.
- Ensures that department/staff meet all regulatory, Illinois Board of Nursing, professional practice standards, and other regulatory/licensure requirements.
- Formulates policies and procedures consistent with recognized standards of professional practice.
MINIMUM WORK EXPERIENCE:
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
REQUIRED LICENSES, Certificates, Registrations: