SINAI CHICAGO UNIT SECRETARY- PREMATURE UNIT
This job posting is no longer active.
- Sinai Children's Hospital
- MSH MSH NR NICU CR4
- Administrative & Clerical
- Full Time
- Req #: 18698
GENERAL SUMMARY/BASIC PURPOSE OF JOB:
The unit secretary provides clerical and receptionist duties for a patient care area. The unit secretary expedites the care of patients through fulfillment of the primary duties and responsibilities as defined in this job description. The unit secretary interacts in a professional manner with nurses, patients, visitors, and health care team members to promote quality patient care and overall satisfaction with services.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND DUTIES:
Accepts and carries out assignments from the Registered Nurse/designee in consideration of unit needs and as appropriate to clinical experience.
- Processes physician orders through OE and places on Kardex in an accurate and timely manner. Assures and facilitates necessary interdepartmental communication to implement physician orders i.e. schedules tests, processes requisition, etc.
Fax stat medications order to the Pharmacy.
- Validates unclear physician orders with appropriate medical or nursing personnel.
- Communicates stat orders within 5 minutes to the responsible registered nurse.
- Assures all orders are dated, timed, and signed off when transcription is complete.
- Maintains adequate supply of chart forms within patient's medical records. Ensures that all documents are stamped and in the proper order.
- Aware of chart location, logs patient's previous Medical Record upon receipt to unit and reports absence of chart to appropriate personnel.
- Breaks down chart upon discharge. Pulls previous records or thinned chart from area and assures completed chart is returned to Medical Records promptly.
Assures charts are in Medical Records when Xeroxing is needed for patient transfer. Xeroxes charts as necessary.
- Processes all admissions, transfers and discharges promptly utilizing Meditech System, Bed tracking or appropriate downtime format.
Independently operates nursing unit equipment i.e. imprinter, facsimile machine, intercom, computer, etc. Assures proper functioning of equipment. Notifies charge nurse of malfunction. Assures that the time and date on fax machine is correct.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
High School Diploma or equivalent.
MINIMUM WORK EXPERIENCE:
Previous clerical experience and knowledge of medical terminology desirable. Basic computer skills.